Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Crawl, Walk, Run

(http://www.about.com/)


I can't tell you how excited I am to read Kim's weekend account regarding orphans. The short time I've known her caring for children, especially those ignored, neglected and abandoned, have been her heart and calling. Her passion is so contagious I too have a stirring in my heart yet untapped.




A month or so ago Kim let me know that surrendered pastor's wife, mom, and servant for the forgotten, especially those with AIDS Kay Warren was having a live chat regarding her book, Dangerous Surrender. This was a book that totally captivated me and I appreciated her candid spirit sharing her missteps and thoughts about how she would step out in this new thing God was calling her to do. I knew this book would speak to Kim and it didn't just speak, it beckoned. But that's Kim's story.




What I took away from that live chat where Kay graciously brought each participant in the conversation was a sentence I can't shake. I thought I was there to lurk on the conversation and encourage Kim and her friend. Kay called me out and asked my story. I wrote something like I know God is calling me to something more, I just don't know what that more is.




Here was her sentence to the best of my memory:


"When He shows you, start with a crawl, move to a walk, then go for the run."




I see a lot of false starts in ministry. Great intentions, wonderful aspirations, but basically the leadership started out with a run. I'm not a marathon runner by any stetch but I know enough to know you don't give 100% when you start out. You have to start small and increase.




I've been guilty of the same. I get an idea from God and I do a brief warm up and then I take off like lightning leaving God and His timing in the dust. I get tired, burned out, and I'm done. And God picks me up, dusts me off, and starts me over.




I've written over at http://thesurrenderedscribe.blogspot.com/ that last year I was hit hard with a reverse in health that didn't just slow me down, it put me to a screeching halt. Now that I understand what is going on and steps for recovery are in place, I feel a new lease on life.




I want to run. I want to race, fly, jump, dance, shout, and sing.




When it comes to my walk with Him, Kay's words envelope me.




What stirring is in your heart? What is your calling? Where are you in this marathon? Are you warming up? Crawling? Walking? Or are you in a full out run?




And...is that the pace you are supposed to be at?




As I wait for Kim and Maria to share what God is doing within them, I'm lacing up and stretching, taking deep breaths and starting forward in an awkward movement resembling a crawl. In His time I'll pull myself to stand and toddle along. Then watch out world!




Care to join me?

Julie Arduini is a surrendered writer with her own blog, http://thesurrenderedscribe.blogspot.com/. A graduate of the Christian Writers Guild, she blogs for the Christian Writers Forum Sundays as the mommy blogger and is the Forum's book club facilitator. She is active with FaithWriters and has several writings ready to publish in different books and anthologies in 2008-09. To get to know her better, read her interview by Lynda Schab at: http://www.faithreaders.com/featured-author-details.php?id=33%20To contact Julie, please use the e mail provided in our profile.

No comments: