Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Challenge of Balancing Mary and Martha

Luke 10:38-42 states,

“As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"


"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."


Well, I’ve been Martha for way too long, and the Mary in me is screaming to get out.
I need to make the time to do the things that bring me to the Lord’s feet—hanging on His every word.


It is those things that give me energy and strength to get to the next task that Martha has to complete.


I am dehydrated, and I need His water to revive me.


Do you ever feel like that?


Like the most important thing you should be doing is filling up your spirit in order to get through the day.


I challenge you, as I challenge myself this week, to choose what is better-- and take time to sit quietly in His presence, so that the Mary in you can shine.


Maria and her family reside in NE Ohio. She and her husband are the parents of two. Their daughter is a person with hemipelegic cerebral palsy. Because of her experiences, Maria provides parent-to-parent support for families involved in her local early intervention program. Her gift for writing has come directly from the Lord since her daughter’s diagnosis. She writes a monthly column entitled, “Special Parents, Special Kids” for the Mahoning Valley Parent magazine in Ohio; and has expanded into Parent magazines in parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia. She is also a contributing author at www.mommiesmagazine.com. Maria is very passionate about getting the word out to special parents that they are not alone in their journey of raising their special child; and that they were chosen by God to parent their children. Maria welcomes comments and communication as well as invitations for her to speak to your group.

No comments: