Wednesday, July 23, 2008

True Worship

“Anoint me Lord, this day,
As I go along my way.
Let my life send forth a glow,
Let the oil around me flow.
Anoint me Lord I pray.
Amen.”

These simple words of prayer through music from Christian artist Vicki Yohe seem to be resounding in my soul lately. Her voice is absolutely amazing, and you can hear her love for the Lord through her sound.

I am a worshipper at heart. Music has always had a special place in my life. Before I became a believer, I endured much heartache through lyrics of secular music.


I learned at a very young age that I could express myself through my voice, and song. I came to life when I sang. Then through many disappointments and feeling inferior in the music world, I put my dream of singing to rest.


Then, when I came to know the Lord, I was in awe of the major role music play in worship. Finally, an actual, real reason to use my voice was right in front of me.

…And to think that He actually wants to hear me worshipping Him? That overwhelms me to this day.

In this season of surrender to the Lord that I’m in, I must obey. And He recently has petitioned me to take my gift of worship to a higher level. I’m spreading my butterfly wings, and am ready for Him to carry me in the air.

I’m not even scared. Not one bit.


It is actually exhilarating to read those words on the screen. He called me to write for Him a few years ago, so I write.

Now He has called me to sing.
Not just to sing, but to truly worship Him.

A few years ago, my husband and I went to see a crusade service of Joel Osteen’s, (before my husband surrendered to the Lord), and during the time of worship, I was singing, and afterwards, my husband said, “I never heard you sound that good.” I replied, “That’s because I am worshipping, not singing.”

So I have re-visited my childhood dream of singing, which He placed in my heart oh so many years ago.
And I’m doing it all unto Him, just for His glory…
My prayer is that of Vicki Yohe’s….
That my life will send forth a glow, and his oil around me will flow to others.
What could be better than that?


Maria and her family reside in NE Ohio. She and her husband are the parents of two. Their daughter is a person with hemipelegic cerebral palsy.


Because of her experiences, Maria provides parent-to-parent support for families involved in her local early intervention program. Her gift for writing has come directly from the Lord since her daughter’s diagnosis.


She writes a monthly column entitled, “Special Parents, Special Kids” for the Mahoning Valley Parent magazine in Ohio; and has expanded into Parent magazines in parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia. She is also a columnist over with Kim, Julie and other writers over at
http://www.takerootandwrite.com/ Maria's column is on encouraging special needs familes.

She is also a contributing author at www.mommiesmagazine.com. Maria's first published work is in Jan Ross and Jeanice McDade's Women of Passion's anthology, "Ordinary Women Serving an Extraordinary God". The book is available for purchase by clicking on the book image on the right side of this blog.


Maria is very passionate about getting the word out to special parents that they are not alone in their journey of raising their special child; and that they were chosen by God to parent their children. Maria welcomes comments and communication as well as invitations for her to speak to your group.

No comments: