Thursday, April 3, 2008

The Blue Heron







A couple weeks ago Maria wrote about people asking how do you know when it is God's voice.









For me, I find repitition to be a huge clue for me that sends my spiritual attenae to attention. If I read a certain verse more than once in a short span of time, I know there is a message. If someone repeats a phrase that has been on my heart, I go to God with it for more. The same for music. Late last year, I was positive God was speaking to me through of all things-a blue heron.



I love walking in nice weather and feel closest to God when I'm near a body of water. Last September in a span of about 7 days I had in one form of another, several sightings of the blue heron.



1--I was taking pictures at a local park that has a lovely waterfall. I got home, printed my favorite, and in the middle of the picture directly below the large rock you can see a blue heron standing as still as can be. I couldn't stop looking at it. The picture is at the top of this post. Can you find it?


2. The next night I went to another part of the park located several miles away. I was walking along on a bike trail. I was in the middle of my "romantic" Captivating moment described by authors Stasi and John Eldredge. God gave me a huge sunset directly before me that I captured on my cell phone while driving. Crickets serendaded while I had the bike trail all to myself (that never happens) and birds flew ahead. I walked by a small pond and guess what was there...a blue heron. Again, standing as still as can be.
3. Two days later our family traveled to upstate NY. During this 300 one way trek I passed by two or three separate blue heron sightings. This is with 65mph highway driving with not a lot of bodies of water.


By now, I'm like ok, something is up with the blue heron. On the return trip home I asked God "if" this was something He was trying to show me (I can be kind of slow on these revelations!) to be very specific with the blue heron.


4. Twenty minutes later we passed a billboard, one I have not seen since. What for?



The Blue Heron.



No kidding. I can't remember if it was a restaurant or hotel but I recall my jaw dropping.



God talking to me? Yea, that doesn't surprise me anymore. In fact, I long for His communications. I am in a personal relationship with my Heavenly Father through believing in His Son. So that part doesn't surprise me so much anymore.


But by using a blue heron?


Well that part was new!


I have a network of friends that I trust when these things happen and I'll usually send out an e mail or call and ask if they have any prayerful thoughts. I went online and googled blue heron. One thing that struck me was that they were a solitary bird. At that time God was also giving me a verse from Hosea 2:14 (I'm going to allure her to the desert and speak tenderly to her).



He was also transitioning me from a very busy schedule to a very slow one. I felt like a freight train that went from full speed ahead to near stop, in about five seconds. It was jarring and unsettling. That verse comforted me because I realized it was of course by His hand, but also for His purpose.




I also saw the heron in a picture eating a snake. For any of you that know me, you know I dislike snakes so much I can't even stand them in cartoons. Like comedian Bill Engvall, I think the snake and satan are one and the same. I am an intercessor---it's no big title or job, I am just someone that God asks to pray for certain things and I do until I feel that burden lift. Sometimes just to pray for things feels like contending between two kingdoms---God's and the defeated one. To see a blue heron eating a snake, well that was exciting. Praying is a solitary thing a lot of the time and there are times when it is draining physically and emotionally. I love that picture of victory!



To read about the blue heron being isolated, this comforted me too.
Kim has a family member that is anointed with wisdom about God's animals. Honestly just name an animal and you'll learn all about it. This member is my go to person and I'm so thankful for their willingness to share.



She went to them with my blue heron quest. I received a summary that confirmed their solitary state. Blue herons also stand so still because they blend in for hunting purposes. Fish have no idea that they are about to be dinner.


Further feedback from a mentor gave me more to pray on. She was struck by the stillness to blend in. I tend to be someone that wants to make things happen. I don't always fit in places because I'm either frustrated by the mediocrity or outright rejection of the One I serve, or, I am so intimidated that I stick out with my quaking fear.



The blue heron for me, through a lot of prayer, gave me the insight to be still and at peace as I moved through a new season. For months now my entire life has changed. It has been a very quiet time where even if I could, I can't make things happen. The isolation and rest has given me time to mature, pray, seek, and prepare for whatever might be next. He has revealed so much to me in this. His words for me have been to seek and give compassion and grace. As I have sought this (not always with success) I find myself blending in better. Not because I'm giving up or compromising, but I'm not coming on like some obnoxious squawking bird.


I'm still. Solitary. At peace. Hungry. Devouring the snake. Loving water.



All of this from God---via the blue heron.
Think back---is there any sighting, reading, song, or sermon that struck you time and time again? It's not too late, ask the Holy Spirit for help. He's your counselor, teacher and friend.
UPDATE: April 4
Today in the mail I received a book I won online signed by the authors. It is I believe from Heartsong Mystery line, so it is a Christian book. The title? Homicide at Blue Heron Lake.
I am NOT kidding!


Thanks for reading! If you like the new design here at TNGI, please visit http://dustin-lee.com/blog/ and http://christianwritersforum.com/Blog/. These are creations by Dustin-Lee, and the neat part is God didn't just bless him with great artistry, he can also write. Check it out!






Julie Arduini is a surrendered writer with her own blog, http://thesurrenderedscribe.blogspot.com/. A graduate of the Christian Writers Guild, she blogs for the Christian Writers Forum Sundays as the mommy blogger and is the Forum's book club facilitator. She is active with FaithWriters and has several writings ready to publish in different books and anthologies in 2008-09. To get to know her better, read her interview by Linda Schab at: http://www.faithreaders.com/featured-author-details.php?id=33%20To contact Julie, please use the e mail provided in our profile.Julie Arduini is a surrendered writer with her own blog, http://thesurrenderedscribe.blogspot.com/. A graduate of the Christian Writers Guild, she blogs for the Christian Writers Forum Sundays as the mommy blogger and is the Forum's book club facilitator. She is active with FaithWriters and has several writings ready to publish in different books and anthologies in 2008-09. To get to know her better, read her interview by Lynda Schab at: http://www.faithreaders.com/featured-author-details.php?id=33%20To contact Julie, please use the e mail provided in our profile.

No comments: