Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Chains



I wrote this at a retreat I attended a few years ago, and just revisited it…
My prayer is that you can declare it for yourself…
Be Blessed,
Maria



I am ready to receive all if the promises and blessings form the Lord. I am left most days with exhaustion from holding on so tightly to my chains from the past…I want only to be worn out from serving the Lord more fully. To do what He’s called me to do with my whole heart. I want His light to shine through me wherever I go; in all that I do. With this freedom from my bondages will come peace like I’ve never known.

In my natural mind, I always thought I needed to be tied down to these chains, strive every day to push down the Mary in me. My version of Martha has been guilt-driven. “ I need to do more of this, I need to be more like that/her.” In my world, I ‘ve always thought that Martha’s are more loved, more accepted-so I need to be more like them. I’ve always thought I am not a good mother unless I am constantly outwardly worrying about my kids. I am not a good wife if I’m not always outwardly commenting on all of the housework that has to get done-to prove to others that I care about it, after all, there are so many women I know that “get it all done.”
Why can’t I? There must be something wrong with me, that I want to take some time just for me; even though I work full-time—just for me…to prioritize my relationship with God.
Who has time for that? What would all of my Catholic family thin k of that? They would think, “She’s gone off the deep end….she actually believes she has a relationship with God. Who does she think she is?”

I will no longer be sucked in to this façade the enemy has created and wants it to be my reality-forever. He knows I am a Christian; and I have accepted Jesus. But he knows exactly with what and where to take captive my thoughts and direct them in the path he wants them to take. I will no longer allow him to take control.

God is in control, He has forgiven me and He loves me unconditionally. He wants me to be free—He wants me to love myself the way He loves me.


Maria and her family reside in NE Ohio. She and her husband are the parents of two. Their daughter is a person with hemipelegic cerebral palsy.Because of her experiences, Maria provides parent-to-parent support for families involved in her local early intervention program.


Her gift for writing has come directly from the Lord since her daughter’s diagnosis.She writes a monthly column entitled, “Special Parents, Special Kids” for the Mahoning Valley Parent magazine in Ohio; and has expanded into Parent magazines in parts of Pennsylvania and West Virginia. She is also a contributing author at www.mommiesmagazine.com.


Maria's first published work is in Jan Ross and Jeanice McDade's Women of Passion's anthology, "Ordinary Women Serving an Extraordinary God". The book is available for purchase by clicking on the book image on the right side of this blog.Maria is very passionate about getting the word out to special parents that they are not alone in their journey of raising their special child; and that they were chosen by God to parent their children. Maria welcomes comments and communication as well as invitations for her to speak to your group.

No comments: